What Are The Benefits Of The Best Massage Chairs
Using a massage chair has multiple benefits. These types of chairs are specially designed to improve your circulation and stretch your muscles, and they will provide your arms, back, and legs the necessary relief after a day’s work.
What Are The Benefits Of Getting a Massage?
Ever since ancient times, people have been relying on massages to relieve their backs. As society progressed, people have been spending more and more time sitting than standing, which is their normal posture. This is where massages come in.
Most people nowadays deal with some kind of posture problem. Some of them even suffer from postural stress without knowing. This postural stress often tends to manifest in the shoulder and neck area, and you might have felt some discomfort in those areas yourself.
Other areas highly susceptible to postural stress are the lower back and gluteals. These areas are often painful, and you can actually feel a relief when you push your knuckles against them and stretch. The weakness and pain are often attributed to prolonged periods of sitting, so you should be careful if you spend a lot of time sitting at a desk or in a car.
Luckily, massages can relieve your muscles and ease the pain. Massages work by increasing and improving the local blood circulation. Studies have actually shown that massage therapy is just as good at treating back pain as other methods that might involve drugs or complicated medical procedures.
Not only will massages improve your posture, but they will also help reduce stress and improve your sleep. Massages promote relaxation, and that will lower your stress levels. As far as sleep is concerned, massages do a great job at improving comfortable rest. Have you ever seen a new mom comfort her newborn by soothing its back? Well, apparently that reflex doesn’t disappear for as long as you live. If you receive a massage, you will want to sleep.
What Are The Benefits Of Having A Massage Chair?
Now that you’ve seen the multiple advantages massages offer, let’s take a look at how you can benefit from having and using a massage chair.
- 24/7 Massage – You don’t have to schedule your massage sessions, as you would if you used a human professional. Whether you’re in a mood for a massage in the morning or late at night, you can rest assured you’re going to get one.
- Multiple Massage Techniques – Best massage chairs offer more massage techniques. The more techniques a chair has, the better. This will increase the chances of finding one that’s perfect for your needs.
- Increased Comfort – You won’t have to get out of your home to receive a massage. In fact, you can get a massage and still watch your favorite sitcom on your own television. How great is that?
- Lower Back Relief – Most massage chairs have specials features specially designed to tackle lower back pain. Some of them might use rollers and airbags to enhance the massage in your lower back area, while others might use heated pads to produce a heated massage for a better relief.
- Good Investment – Even though most massage chairs have a big initial cost, you will be able to get your money’s worth in massages. Massage chairs are durable, and most of them come with reliable warranties. A massage chair will cost less than regular visits to a massage professional, making it a good investment.
- Foot Massages – Most massage chairs make a mean foot massage. Some chairs even have adaptable foot massagers, so you can personalize your experience.
- Muscle Stretch – A massage chair will stretch your muscles better than you would think possible. Some chairs have special features that simulate the muscle stretch you would perform during a yoga session.
- Spinal Relief – Best massage chair uses different technologies to track your spine and target the muscles next to it. Not only will this relieve you of any back pain, but it will also stretch your vertebrae, increasing your spinal relief.
- Relaxing – Everybody feels the need to relax after a taxing day at work. Well, what better way to relax than sit in a chair that massages your back, arms, legs, and feet?
A Complete Buying Guide For The Best Massage Chairs
Finding the best massage chair might be more difficult than you think. We created this section to help you choose the best model for your particular needs.
A. Questions You Need To Ask Yourself Before Buying The Best Massage Chairs
Whenever you’re buying something new, it’s better to think hard and well before reaching a decision. So, ask yourself these questions before deciding on a massage chair.
- Consider Your Available Space
Massage chairs are great, but they’re definitely not small. Even the smallest massage chair is still the size of your regular armchair, so you will need to make sure you have enough space to store one.
Keep in mind that folding thebest massage chairs will need more space than regular ones. You will need at least 3” of clearance for some models, but most will demand more to become fully extended.
- Will The Massage Chair Fit Me?
Massage chairs come in different frames, and they have different sizes. Since most of them are built to accommodate most users, they will be suitable for both short and tall users.
However, you should always make sure the massage chair will fit you. Some massage chairs won’t be comfortable for short people, while others won’t fit tall users.
- What Type Of Massage Do You Need?
Massage chairs often offer more types of massages. Some users might enjoy all of them, while others might prefer one or another.
Now, you might even have a therapeutic indication for a certain type of massage. Here are some massage techniques you’re most likely to find in massage chairs.
- Kneading – This technique involves the compression of soft tissues against one another or against underlying bones. This technique is recommended for pain relief, treating tight muscles, and to increase flexibility
- Tapping – Tapping is a percussive massage technique designed to stimulate your muscles. It simulates the pounding and striking actions a professional would apply with his/her fists. This technique stimulates the local blood circulation and increases the local temperature and tissue elasticity.
- Rolling – Rolling is a massage technique that involves the lift and roll of the skin between the masseur’s fingers and thumbs. In massage chairs, this technique is simulated with the help of rollers. Rolling is used for treating muscular tension, loosen the skin, and produce a relaxing effect
- Shiatsu – One of the most popular and most effective massage techniques, shiatsu is typically applied with the hands, palms, and thumbs against certain stress points. This technique promotes relaxation and muscle relief. In a massage chair, shiatsu is performed by the rollers and the airbags.
- Special Techniques – Manufacturers try to attract customers by implementing special techniques. These techniques vary according to each model, but some of the most popular are heated massage, reflexology, spinal relief, yoga, muscle stretch, and combo. Each of these techniques has its own advantages.
You might be wondering which of these massage techniques would be better for you. Well, if you don’t have any previous experience with using massage chair, you can simply choose a model that offers more techniques. This way, you can make sure you’ll find one you like. You might also want to choose a model that has special features that appeal to you, such as yoga, muscle stretch, or spinal relief.
There are multiple manufacturers that produce massage chairs. Some of them have a long history of producing this type of units, while others are just beginning to be relevant to the market.
As far as massage chairs are concerned, you shouldn’t reach a conclusion that one model is better than another based on the band alone. There are plenty of high-quality models produced by less popular brands as well.
The only thing you should really look out for is the brand’s customer support service. Finding a manufacturer that respects the warranty and covers the repair expenses might save you money in the long run.
You should always decide on a budget before you start looking for a massage chair. The price differences between models are pretty large, and you shouldn’t waste your time looking at expensive models if you can’t afford them.
When it comes to massage chairs, the price is determined by the chair’s quality and capability. Chairs with multiple massage techniques, various extra features, and better designs will be more expensive.
However, you should know that you usually get your money’s worth when buying a more expensive unit. They tend to be more durable, more comfortable, and they offer more massage techniques, making them more effective at treating your sore back and legs.
Massage chairs come with warranties. The shortest warranty period is 1 year, the longest 5. Most manufacturers guarantee that they support the cost of the reparation and that of the parts in the first year, just that of the parts in the second year, and just the frame integrity in the third year.
You should always check up on a company to see if they respect their warranty policies. Unfortunately, some manufacturers don’t. You can usually find this information in the product review section, as many people will complain about it.
B. What Features Are Important To Consider When Buying a Massage Chair?
Now that you’re certain you want to buy a massage chair, let’s take a look at the important features that define how a model works and how efficient it is.
- Massage Power – The power of the massage is a decisive factor in how much you’re going to enjoy the massage itself. Some people like their massages soft, while others like them rougher. Unfortunately, there’s no accurate way of deciding which model produces more power than the other.
You will only be able to determine if a massage chair provides a soft or a rough massage by reading what other customers thought, but that’s very subjective. Some people might complain that a massage was rough, while others might complain that the same massage was too soft for them.
To increase the chances of finding a model capable of producing exactly the type of massage you want, look for a model that has an adjustable intensity. The more intensity levels, the better. This is also a good way to make sure more members of your household will enjoy the same unit.
- Massage Rollers – Some massage chairs, usually the high-end ones, use rollers to provide a nice and comfortable experience. Massage rollers are specially designed to simulate the movement of the human hand. These rollers will slide upwards, downwards, toward the right and the left of your back, producing a soothing and comfortable massage. The rollers’ action is very relaxing, and it stimulates your back’s blood circulation.
- Heat Massage – Heated massages are a great way to thoroughly relax your muscles. With the help of heated pads or infrared rollers, massage chairs will produce heat against your back. The heat will encourage your muscles to relax, and it will promote the local blood circulation.
Massage chairs have different ways to produce the heated massages. Most use heated pads located in your lower back area to deliver the heat to your lower back, one of the most sensitive stress areas during the day. Other models use the same pads, but they will also have a heated massage feature for your feet, which is very enjoyable and relaxing. High-end massage chairs will use infrared rollers for the heated massages. These rollers will cover the whole surface of your back, from your neck to your buttocks. This will produce a very comfortable massage experience.
- Body Scan Technology – One of the best feature currently available for massage chairs, the body scan technology will help the chair customize the massage for every different user. This technology uses sensors to track the curvature of your spine and other physical aspects, and it will customize the massage sessions to fit your specific build.
This is a very good feature to have in a massage chair, as every session will be personalized according to the user. If you’re shorter, you won’t have the shoulder air cells beating against your neck, and if you’re taller you won’t have them working on your back instead of the shoulders.
- Air Compression Massage – Most manufacturers include an air compression massage feature. This feature uses airbags to enhance the massage experience. The airbags’ alternative compression and decompression will push against your muscles, massaging them. This feature can be used for every area of your body.
Most massage chairs will have airbags at your neck, shoulder, arms, hips, legs, and feet. The more airbags a massage chair has, the better the experience. For most massage chairs, you will be able to change the airbags’ intensity as you like.
- Vibration Massage – While high-end massage chairs are specially designed to reach all the way down to your buttocks, lower-end models will only reach as far as your lower back. These models will use a vibration seat to work your buttocks and legs’ muscles.
- Zero Gravity – The zero gravity feature is usually present in high-end models. When you engage this feature, the massage chair will recline and place your body in a position where it doesn’t have to sustain its own weight, similar to what zero gravity does in space. This is a good feature, as is will allow your vertebrae to relax, and it will enhance the massage experience.
Some massage chairs have multiple stages of zero gravity positions. The final stage will raise your legs to a height similar to that of your heart. This will allow your heart to relax a little and work more efficiently for a while, as it won’t have to push so hard to get all the blood down to your legs.
The zero gravity stages also make the massage better because your whole weight will be distributed across the massage chair. Since your whole weight will be against the chair, you will be able to better feel the rollers and the airbags’ actions.
- 3D Massages – 3D massages offer more depth than a normal massage. To achieve this sense of depth, high-end massage chairs use the combined actions of rollers and airbags. The airbags fill with air, so your whole body will be covered by them. Once your body is locked in place by the airbags, the rollers start to massage your back and legs.
This is a great feature, as it provides an immersive feeling to the massage. This type of massages is more relaxing and more enjoyable than the usual ones.
- Recline – Lower-end models that don’t have a zero gravity function usually use a reclining one. The difference between the two functions is that your body weight won’t be entirely supported by the chair when you’re using a chair with a simple recline function. Your legs won’t be lifted to a similar height with that of your heart.
Even though this feature is not as good as the previous one, it’s still relaxing and enjoyable. You will most likely enjoy reclining your chair, turning on the TV and watching your favorite series while the chair massages you back.
- Muscle Stretch Massage – Many massage chair models offer this type of feature. Whether they’re called yoga, muscle stretch, or simply stretch, the features work in a similar way. They use the air compression massage to warm up your muscles and then they stretch them.
You will be surprised to find out how much your back, arms, and legs can stretch when you engage the massage chair’s muscle stretch feature, especially if you don’t have any previous experience with using massage chairs.
This feature is very good before and/or after a physical exercise. The muscle stretch massage is also great for muscle recovery after a strain or injury.
- Spinal Stretch – You can usually find this feature in high-end massage chairs. The feature can have many different names, but they all work in a similar way. Your back is stretched so that the pressure against your vertebrae is diminished. Then, the muscles around your spine are massaged to relieve the pain.
This is a great feature for people who suffer from spinal pain, and it’s enhanced by the use of a zero gravity feature.
- Acupressure Points – Some massage chairs use acupressure points to enhance their massages. The acupressure points will produce a gripping feeling, so the massage would seem more realistic, similar to that provided by a massage professional.
- Additional Massage Features – They might not seem very important at a first glance, but additional massage features really make a massage chair better. These features target your head, arms, or legs.
- Foot Massages – Foot massages are very important for people who spend a lot of time standing up. There’s nothing like coming home from a tiring day at work and having your calves and feet massaged. Most massage chairs include a foot massage feature.
Different massage chair models offer different foot massages. Some models only use the airbags to massage your calves and feet. Some use rollers for your feet and airbags for your calves. Some use rotating discs for your feet, and a few of them will even offer a heated massage feature.
- Arm Massages – Arm massages can be very relaxing. Most massage chairs use air compression massages for your arms. Some of them have special pockets that hold your arms while the surrounding airbags compress your muscles. Others massage your arms while you keep them on the armrests.
- Head Massages – Most massage chairs will offer massage features for your neck. However, some of them will offer head massage features. These features will target the muscles on the side of your head, and they can be really relaxing.
- Hip Massages – Even though most massage chairs have airbags around your hips, some models have special features that specifically target the hips. These features are designed for hip pain relief, and they compress your muscles with the help of the airbags. One feature will also try to align your hips to your spine.
- Predefined Programs – Having more predefined programs to choose from is always an advantage. Predefined programs use a nice mix of massage techniques and features to provide a good massage experience. Most of the programs are specially designed with a purpose in mind. Some of them will stretch your muscles, some will compress them, while others will only offer a soft caress.
- Manual Control – Even though having many predefined programs is an advantage, you should always look for massage chairs that can be manually controlled. This will allow you to create your own massage sessions, incorporating your favorite techniques at just the right intensity and speed settings.
- Massage Chair Material – Most massage chairs have a faux leather covering. Even the high-end models use faux leather, as real leather wouldn’t handle the pressure produced by the airbags and the rollers as well as the fake one does. The difference between the high-end models and the low-end ones is the quality of the faux leather.
Better chairs use a thicker layer of leather, so they tend to be more durable than the cheaper ones.
- LED Lights – Some models come with LED lights for a more enjoyable experience. If you really want to benefit from an immersive massage experience, you only have to turn off the other electronics in the room, turn on the LED lights, and relax. These lights will light up the room, making your experience more enjoyable.
- Easy Accessibility – The massage chair’s accessibility is determined by its control panel. Massage chairs should not be difficult to program and use, yet some manufacturers succeed in designing them so. Models that come with easy-to-read control panels are easy to use, and they’re more user-friendly.
- Remote Control – Some Best massage chairs come with remote control for an increased accessibility. You can use the remote control to change the massage technique, increase or decrease the massage’s intensity and speed, and to turn the chair on or off.
- Cup Holder – It might not seem as much at a first glance, but a cup holder can really be helpful if when you use a massage chair. Not only can you use the holder for cups and glasses while you enjoy the massage, but you can also use it to store the remote control, so you won’t misplace it.
- Bluetooth Compatibility – Some high-end massage chair models have built-in Bluetooth adapters. These adapters will allow you to connect to any Bluetooth-compatible streaming devices and pair them with the chair. Once the devices are paired, you’ll be able to listen to your favorite songs or podcasts directly through the chair’s speakers.
- Silent Operation – Massage chairs are somewhat bulky, and some of them might produce a lot of noise when they’re working. Having a silent massage chair is an advantage because you can still use it even if the other members of your household are sleeping, or they’re engaged in activities that require silence, such as reading or studying.
- Portability – Some massage chairs are portable. They weigh less than other models, and they have casters. You can use the casters to move the chair from one room to another, which can be an advantage.
Now that you’re familiar with most of the features available for the best massage chairs, you can make a list of which of them you think would be more beneficial for your needs. This list can help you decide on a particular model.